An Acquitor was a sanctioned position in the Kingdom of Lether for someone who worked as guide/factor when dealing with non-Letherii people. The number of Acquitors in a region was strictly limited by treaty, and no merchant could enter non-Letherii lands without one. Only seven served the entirety of the Tiste Edur lands, for example. Merchants bid heavily on their services often contracting their exclusive service for a period of years.
Acquitors were required to remain neutral and not to speak their own minds nor interfere with the aims of others. They did not take part in any negotiations that might occur between their employer and their non-Letherii contacts. They were expected to know every trail, old barrow ground, and holy site in their territory. They were skilled at reading tracks.
- Seren Pedac, Acquitor to the Tiste Edur
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Glossary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Midnight Tides, Chapter 2, US SFBC p.59
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 11, US SFBC p.351
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 5, US SFBC p.168-169
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 7, US SFBC p.168-239-240
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 19, US SFBC p.581
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 19, US SFBC p.578