- Tehol: "Ah yes, you have trousers to make—have you enough wool for that?"
- Bugg: "Well, I can make one leg down all the way, or I can make both short."
- Tehol: "How short?"
- Bugg: "Pretty short."
- Tehol: "Go with the one leg."
- ―Tehol and Bugg[src]
Bugg was the unpaid manservant of Tehol Beddict in Letheras. He was described as an old man with a grizzled head, mostly bald with thinning hair, watery eyes, and a wizened face. His body was covered in scars.
He lived in Tehol's house but only came up onto the roof where Tehol spent most of his time when he needed more light for his tasks, one of which was knitting. Tehol claimed to sleep on the roof due to Bugg's prodigious snoring. Bugg's own shirt possessed many hidden pockets.
Bugg had sworn a vow of celibacy.
In Midnight Tides
- Bugg: "What do you want we should eat tonight?"
- Tehol: "Something that needs cooking."
- Bugg: "Would that be something better when cooked, or something that has to be cooked?"
- Tehol: "Either way's fine."
- Bugg: "How about wood?"
- Tehol: "I'm not eating—"
- Bugg: "For the hearth."
- ―Tehol and Bugg[src]
Bugg showed a surprising array of skills and knowledge, from knitting to engineering and construction. He rebuilt Tehol's fireplace by hand. The man was also something of a mage as he set wards about their house every night. The city's small time criminals knew him as the Waiting Man who could be called upon to settle unusual problems.
- For the relationship between Bugg and Tehol, Erikson was inspired by the performances of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster.
Stop here if you do not want to learn of a potential alias or alternative identity for Bugg
which is not yet disclosed in the story and/or might be information from another Malazan book/series.
Do not hover over the following link to avoid mouseover spoiler.
If you wish to proceed to the character's page containing a spoiler, click here.
Notes and references
- Midnight Tides, Dramatis Personae
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.522
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.80
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.163/164
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 14, US SFBC p.427
- Reaper's Gale, Chapter 6, US HC p.140-141
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.525
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 14, US SFBC p.450
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 14, US SFBC p.436
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 6, US SFBC p.208
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 4, US SFBC p.151
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 14, US SFBC p.435
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.80-82
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 14, US SFBC p.425-427
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.110
- Midnight Tides, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.159-168, examples
- Ten Very Big Books podcast - Midnight Tides As pronounced by Steven Erikson at 29:15