First seen in Deadhouse Gates, the dhenrabi were sea serpents that wrapped up whales and ships alike, blew out all the air under their armored skins and sank like a stone, taking their prey with them. They had a wide razorlike mouths and correspondingly wide heads, some as wide as ten arm-spans. Their bodies were covered in segmented armour of a deep green colour with each segment revealing long chitinous limbs. The creatures could be as long as one hundred and sixty paces.
During mating season, the males were said to spend their time competing for mates rather than eating. Sharks, normally afraid of individual serpents, would trail along the edges of dhenrabi gatherings to consume the losers' remains. Dhenrabi yearlings travelled together in pods.
In Deadhouse Gates[edit | edit source]
Fiddler, Kalam, Crokus, and Apsalar ran into what they took to be a massive dhenrabi Soletaken while crossing the relatively shallow waters of the Kansu Sea in a fishing barque. The beast was chasing a school of flying fish when it noticed the fishing boat. Eager to dispatch any witnesses to its presence, it attacked and Fiddler blew its head off with a cusser launched from his crossbow.
In House of Chains[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Deadhouse Gates, Glossary, UK MMPB p.936
- Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 1, UK MMPB p.55
- The Lees of Laughter's End, Section 3
- The Bonehunters, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.686
- House of Chains, Chapter 16, US SFBC p.562
- Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 1, US HC p.42-43
- Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, US HC p.500
- House of Chains, Chapter 2, US SFBC p.133-136