The "Free Cities of Genabackis" was an alliance of cities attempting to thwart the Malazan Empire's intention to conquer the continent. The majority of them were subjugated. As of the beginning of Gardens of the Moon, only Pale and Darujhistan remained unconquered by the Malazan Empire, although Pale was defeated early on in the book.
Notable Cities and Towns
- Apple - A free city located on free city plain.
- Bastion – City in the Pannion Domin, known for its kelyk.
- Callows – City on the southwest part of Genabackis.
- Capustan – Home of the Mask Council. Capustan was a large city on the north side of the river Catlin, in the southeast region of Genabackis.
- Coral – A city on the southeast coast of Genabackis. Later renamed "Black Coral".
- Culvern Crossing – A Nathii settlement spanning the Culvern River on the route to Silver Lake.
- Darujhistan – The "City of Blue Fire" in central Genabackis. The last of the Free Cities, Darujhistan had been called the "City of Cities".
- Elingarth – Home of the Grey Swords in southern Genabackis.
- Genabaris – A coastal city in northern Genabackis. The large port city was held by the Malazan Empire and was a main debarking point for armies of the Genabackis Campaign.
- Gredfallan – Known for its ale.
- Nathilog – A city in the northwest of Genabackis, south of the capital. It was conquered by the Malazan Empire.
- One Eye Cat – Malazan occupied city on the northern part of Genabackis.
- Outlook – "Capital" of the Pannion Domin for a time and occupied by the Pannion Seer.
- Pale – Site of a major mage battle in Gardens of the Moon. Pale fell to the Malazan Empire during the Siege of Pale.
- Saltoan – Lawless city on the eastern part of Genabackis.
- Silver Lake – Nathii settlement and base of the Teblor slave trade.
- Trygalle - Home of the Trygalle Trade Guild
- Barghast – Tribal people of Imass descent
- Brethen - Tribal people of northern Genabackis
- Bright Knot - Tribal people of northern Genabackis
- Daru – Urban people of northern Genabackis
- Fildasz - Tribal people of northern Genabackis
- Gadrobi – Indigenous people of central Genabackis
- Ganrel - Tribal people of northern Genabackis
- Jheck – D'ivers wolves
- Jhinan - Tribal people of northern Genabackis
- Moranth – Mysterious inhabitants of Cloud Forest
- Rhivi – Plains-dwelling, nomadic people
- Saemdhi – Indigenous people of the northern tundra
- Seguleh – A warrior people who inhabited an island south of Morn
- Teblor – Thelomen Toblakai tribes
Several places on Genabackis were mentioned in the Malazan Book of the Fallen, but did not appear on any published maps.
Fan art gallery
In Gardens of the Moon
In Memories of Ice
In House of Chains
In Toll the Hounds
In Orb Sceptre Throne