This article is about the current Gods. You may be looking for Elder Gods.
The Gods of the Malazan Empire were mostly Ascendants who had gained control of a Warren, accessed its power through a Throne, and were worshiped by mortals. While the gods were described as "immortal", immortality did not in fact last forever. According to the Elder God K'rul, "Every god falls at a mortal's hands. Such is the only end to immortality." Gods who lost their worshippers remained Ascendants, but were emasculated in power unless worship was somehow renewed. Once their names were no longer remembered, they vanished and died. If a God was annihilated, nothing could bring them back.
While worship gave a god power, it was a double edged sword. If the will of the god's worshippers was strong enough, the god could be forced to follow them unless they chose to make war upon their own worshippers. If acts committed in the god's name were sufficiently antithetical to the god's ethos, they could cause harm or even death to the god.
Apart from the pantheon worshipped by members of the Empire, there were others. The Barghast for example, had their own pantheon who were ascended spirits which had emerged from the Hold of the Beast and who were said to be primordial in their aspect. Spirits who had been forgotten and lost their power could sometimes be renewed in strength simply by recalling or rediscovering their names.
Gods (new) mentioned in the booksEdit
- Apsalar, the Lady of Thieves
- Beru, the Lord of Storms
- Cotillion, the Rope
- The Crippled God, the Chained One
- Dessembrae, the Lord of Tragedy
- D'rek, the Worm of Autumn
- Fener, the Boar of War
- Gedderone, the Lady of Spring and Rebirth
- Hood, the Lord of Death
- Jhess, the Queen of Weaving
- Mowri, the Lady of Beggars, Slaves and Serfs
- Nerruse, the Lady of Calm Seas and Fair Wind
- Oponn, the twins of chance
- Poliel, the Queen of Disease
- The Redeemer, a new God in Coral
- Shadowthrone, also known as Ammanas
- Soliel, the Lady of Health.
- Trake, the Tiger of Summer and Battle
- T'riss, the Queen of Dreams, or the Enchantress (note that she could debately be named an elder goddess due to being an azathanai.)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 7
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Bonehunters, Chapter 10, US SFBC p.439
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 6, US SFBC p.203-204
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 16, US SFBC p.651
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 14, US SFBC p.567
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 18, UK MMPB p.747
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 18, UK MMPB p.716
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.139/140