He had a mutable appearance, constantly seeming to grow and shrink. Sometimes he appeared as a man possessing a great thatch of black hair framing a long face. At other times he seemed to be a short, hairy, winged, monkey-like creature. He was an inherently ridiculous figure who spoke Talian in a whimsical manner and struggled to keep his robes together when he was not wiping his nose on them.
- Hethe: "I am come to deliver you to my master, Shadowthrone. You are blessed by his condescension."
- Traveller: "Who are you?"
- Hethe: "Whorou? Damned awkward name. Common enough though, isn't it?"
- Hethe (holding out his hand): "Hethe."
- ―Hethe meeting Traveller[src]
- "Where is he? I'll skin the rat."
- ―Shadowthrone, on Hethe