High House Chains was a "new" House within the Deck of Dragons. Membership and alliance with High House Chains was marked through the inclusion of a massive flaw in the individual, and the celebration of imperfection.
The House was formed in 1164 BS when the Crippled God commissioned the itinerant artisan, Munug, to create a new set of cards for the Deck of Dragons. The God then quickly began approaching beings of great power and misery to take on roles within the House. Gethol became his Herald and Kallor became his King. Other positions proved attractive to Poliel, Mistress of Pestilence, and Mowri, Lady of Beggars, Slaves, and Serfs.
Possibly in anticipation of the House's formation, Ganoes Paran was designated the Master of the Deck by the Azath. This gave him the authority to bless or deny the House's official entry into the Deck. Some powers in the Malazan world sought to influence Paran and deny the new House. These included Hood, Trake, and Anomander Rake, among others.
Paran leaned towards approving the new House. His inclination was strengthened when Gruntle, Trake's unconventional new Mortal Sword, pointed out that the new House currently operated as it pleased outside the rules, but a sanctioned House would be bounded to the same rules as everyone else.
The Crippled God chose Karsa Orlong as his Knight of Chains, the Mortal Sword of the House of Chains. The god's servants, The Seven Faces in the Rock, had shaped the Teblor for the role for his entire life. Silgar, the former Nathii slaver, claimed to be the Leper of Chains.
After the Last Siege of Y'Ghatan, Fiddler acquired a new Deck of Dragons with many cards previously unknown to him including those of the House of Chains. He described the King of Chains' card as showing a man on a throne swallowed in shadows. Despite the darkness, he swore he could see "that poor bastard screaming. And the look in his eyes..."
Known positions in High House Chains and confirmed associated AscendantsEdit
- The King in Chains - Skinner
- The Consort - Poliel
- Knight – Toblakai
- The Seven of the Dead Fires - The Unbound
Likely candidates for positions in High House ChainsEdit
- Ruler – the Crippled God
- King – Skinner, formerly Rhulad Sengar, formerly Kallor
- Consort – Tavore, formerly Janall, Poliel aspired to the position
- Reaver – one man one woman, formerly Kallor (possibly)
- Knight – Karsa Orlong
- The Seven of the Dead Fires - The Unbound T'lan Imass, in line to be replaced
- Herald – currently unoccupied, formerly Gethol
- Magi – currently unoccupied, formerly Bidithal
- Cripple – Banaschar, formerly Mowri
- Leper – Hedge, formerly Silgar, formerly Mowri
- Fool - Blistig, formerly Mowri
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Memories of Ice, Chapter 8, US SFBC p.295
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.79-82
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 8, US SFBC p.293-295
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 12, US SFBC p.439-440
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 18, US SFBC p.655
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 18, US SFBC p.631/655/660-661
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 18, US SFBC p.658-662
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 House of Chains, Chapter 21, US SFBC p.708
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 House of Chains, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.786
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.811
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 18, US SFBC p.720
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Dust of Dreams, Chapter 3, UK HB p.102
- ↑ 13.00 13.01 13.02 13.03 13.04 13.05 13.06 13.07 13.08 13.09 13.10 13.11 13.12 Return of the Crimson Guard, Glossary, UK PB p.702
- ↑ Return of the Crimson Guard, Epilogue, UK PB p.688-689
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 13, US SFBC p.440
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 The Crippled God, Chapter 24, UK HB p.795
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 Memories of Ice, Chapter 18, US SFBC p.655
- ↑ House of Chains, Glossary
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 25, UK MMPB p.966
|Deck of Dragons and Tiles of the Holds|
|Cards||High House Chains • High House Dark • High House Death • High House Life • High House Light • High House Shadow • High House War • Unaligned|
|Tiles||Azath Hold • Beast Hold • Dragon Hold • Empty Hold • Ice Hold • Fulcra|