The Knight of Death was a position within High House Death and was a servant of Hood. The role was played by several characters during the entirety of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. It could be that the role was held by several characters at the same time.
Hood sent a different Knight of Death to Capustan after the end of the Pannion Domin siege. The Knight protected the dying Mhybe from being acquired by the necromancer Korbal Broach. He carried two longswords (one of which was strangely bent) that he could not put down. This Knight of Death had no knowledge of his identity or of his previous life save the memory of burning in fire and failing to protect a child. The Knight, who could not sleep, thought himself dead, and Coll agreed.
It was later revealed that the Knight in Capustan was Baudin, who had perished on Seven Cities protecting Felisin Paran from Gryllen. His sad death had attracted the attention of Hood himself, and the god had personally retrieved Baudin's body and soul. Cotillion told Cutter Hood had looked into the mortal's soul and made him his Knight of Death.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Glossary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Memories of Ice, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.759-762
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.133
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 4
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.114
- ↑ House of Chains, Glossary
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 14
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 16, UK MMPB p.667/668
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 26, US SFBC p.848-849
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 22