Mage cadres were instrumental attachments to armies that used magic, such as the Malazan Army and the Letherii Army. A typical Malazan mage cadre consisted of six mages and the mage commander. In the Malaz 2nd Army the rank of cadre commander was indicated by a silver emblem attached to the cloak of the wearer.
Much later, the number of mage cadres came down drastically, with the Malazan 5th army posted in Genabackis left without mages of any extraordinary skill.
- "Ye Gods! That the empire of Nightchill, Tattersail, and Tayschrenn should be reduced to this! It would be laughable if it weren't so damn tragic."
- ―Aragan's observations on the state of Mage Cadres, especially in Genabackis
Rank structure Edit
|Rank Comparison Table|
|First Sword of the Empire||Imperial High Mage1|
|Colonel4||Commander||Mage Cadre commander5|
1Appeared to report directly to the Emperor or Empress.
2It is unknown if a High Fist outranked an Admiral or not.
3These ranks seemed to be roughly equivalent.
4Possibly a garrison rank only. Appeared once only (see Tras).
5The name of this rank is conjectural, but the rank was real enough.
6Not a true rank. Position conjectural based on observed authority, but had no command power.
Known Malazan Mage Cadre CommandersEdit
Known Malazan Mage Company CommandersEdit
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.72
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.52
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.73
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 5
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.64