Malaz City was an island city and the home of Kellanved, the birthplace of his Malazan Empire. The city was located on the small Malaz Island which was found southeast of Quon Tali. It was split into northern and southern halves by the confluence of the North and South Malaz Rivers which flowed from the Firstsight Mountains into Malaz Bay.
Along the northern edge of the city ran the 500 foot tall Mock's Cliff, upon which sat Mock's Hold, former pirate stronghold and now Imperial Garrison. The fortress was reached by a switchback of wide stone steps known as Rampart Way leading from the city below. To the south the city was bounded by the Ridger Wall which ran in parallel to the Ridger hill.
Front Street in the harbour district was largely ancient warehouses interspersed with ramshackle taverns, inns, and tenement houses, all facing the piers. From there, a maze of dark and twisting narrow streets and alleys led further into the city. The city's larger estates butted up against the cliff wall below Mock's Hold. Also below the fortress was the Imperial Pier.
As the Empire increased in size, Malaz City lost all tactical and strategic value and began a downward slide into irrelevance. Many of the city's influential residents relocated to the Imperial capital at Unta leaving many of the city's homes deserted. Trade declined, warehouses decayed, and piers eroded. Its primary value was as a military transit point.
Places of interest Edit
The city's residents were a mixed breed of human races as was common on the island.
Chem, an ancient sea deity, was the object of an old sea cult in Malaz City. Before the existence of the Malazan Empire, Malaz City regularly celebrated a number of festivals devoted solely to Chem.
In the 1154th year of Burn's Sleep Surly, the Imperial Regent, leader of the Claw, and soon to be Empress, created laws prohibiting the use of unsanctioned sorcery in Malaz City. Elements of the 3rd Army rendezvoused with recruits and were sent to enforce the Imperial Regent's edict. The riots that followed engulfed a quarter of the town in flames. The mage cadre that was sent in, all new and untested, lost control. Whiskeyjack sent Dujek and some sappers to control the fires.
The Claw assassin Pearl maneuvered Kalam Mekhar to the city aboard the Ragstopper for a confrontation with Empress Laseen. Not intending to make it easy, Pearl stabbed Kalam in the side and tossed him overboard. The Bridgeburner made his way to shore were he was pursued by multiple Hands of the Claw. Kalam ultimately made his way to Mock's Hold where he and the Empress settled their differences.
Later in 1154, after the Mouse Quarter riots and on the night of the Shadow, the fortress of Mock's Hold was the site of Emperor Kellanved and Dancer's apparent assassination. The streets also saw battles involving the Shadow cult, the Hounds of Shadow, and a renegade band of Bridgeburners.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Glossary, UK MMPB p.710/711
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Prologue, UK MMPB p.4
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 23, US HC p.576
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.536-537
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 22, US HC p.551
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 23, US HC p.573
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.537-53
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 22, US HC p.550
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.159
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 17, UK MMPB p.828
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.537
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 1, US TPB p.31
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 2, US TPB p.50
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 House of Chains, Chapter 22, UK MMPB p.848
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 2
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 The Bonehunters, Chapter 23
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 1, US TPB p.36-37
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 22, US HC p.551
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 Night of Knives, Chapter 3
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 22, US SFBC p.713
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 2, US MMPB p.52
- ↑ Deadhouse Landing, Chapter 19, US TPB p.373
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 23, US HC p.571
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 1, US PB p.14
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Prologue, UK MMPB p.7/8
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 1, UK HB p.14
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Prologue, UK MMPB p.6-8
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.536-538
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 22
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 23
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 21, US HC p.573-575
- ↑ Night of Knives, Chapter 5, US TPB p.203-208
|Deadhouse • Docks Quarter • Jakata • Malaz City • Mock's Hold • Mouse Quarter • Obo's Tower|