Minala Eltroeb was the wife of Colonel Tras, commander of the Malazan garrison at Orbal on Seven Cities. Originally from Quon, she was the sister of Selv, whose husband Captain Keneb was also stationed at Orbal.
Tras was an abusive husband, who regularly beat Minala to the point of broken bones before ordering the garrison healer to restore her. It was strongly implied that Minala killed him when the chaos surrounding the Whirlwind provided an opportunity.
Minala was attractive; medium-boned, with iron-streaked hair and startling grey eyes. She was also an extremely skilled rider.
After the Orbal garrison fell to the Whirlwind Legion, Minala fled into the Orbala Odhan with Keneb and Selva, and their children Vaneb and Kesen. Minala met Kalam Mekhar when he rescued her and her family from Bordu's bandits and escorted them to safety in Aren. A strong attraction developed between Minala and the assassin, and despite their somewhat tumultuous relationship, she ultimately left her sister's family to follow him. Unaware of her decision, he left Aren on the Ragstopper and she tricked her way onto an Imperial transport that followed, taking his stallion with her.Luckily for the assassin, her ship was nearby in Malaz harbour when he was thrown overboard by Pearl. She soon reunited with Kalam and rescued him from a Claw ambush in an alleyway. Afterwards, Shadowthrone brought Kalam and Minala into Shadow to serve as the surrogate mother and father for thirteen hundred children brought into his custody by the demon Apt.
Minala and Kalam were now married, and she and Apt took on the training of their thirteen hundred charges in a host of martial activities. Such focus led to arguments with Kalam that left the assassin banished from their household and eager to accept work from Cotillion away from Shadow.Minala, Apt, and their 'Company of Shadow' were ultimately armed and armoured and presumably sent by Shadowthrone to guard the cavern containing the T'lan Imass First Throne. They were later joined by the T'lan Imass Onrack the Broken, Monok Ochem, and Ibra Gholan, and the renegade Tiste Edur, Trull Sengar who suspected The Unbound and the Tiste Edur planned to take control of the Throne for the Crippled God. Monok Ochem was not pleased to find Minala and her Company already there.
- "There had been so many… pressing tasks. Essential necessities. That we neglected this company, a company we ourselves ensconced here, to defend what we claimed our own. And then, it must have seemed, we abandoned them."
- ―Cotillion's self-recrimination
Cotillion visited the cavern where Minala and the children had been protecting the First Throne. They had faced numerous assaults from the Crippled God's allies, the Tiste Edur, and many bore signs of the desperate fighting. Some of the children had grown to become young men and women, but Cotillion saw that even they were "too young in truth to be soldiers". Many had died horribly at the hands of the Tiste Edur raiders, and Cotillion berated himself for not making the time to check on Minala and the children.
Minala looked old and tired. Her chain and leather armour was in tatters and had been damaged by a spear point high on the left side of her chest. One side of her helm's cheekguard was missing and her cheek on that side was swollen and bruised. She confronted Cotillion about the losses, saying around half of the thirteen hundred children who now called her "Mother" had died and another three hundred lay dying after four attacks. Cotillion could not offer much assistance, but he asked Shadowthrone to heal the injured. Trull noted that Minala's rage was her armour and Onrack observed that she constantly prayed that Trull, who kept them alive, did not fall.Eventually, the Tiste Edur attacked in force. The warlock, Sathbaro Rangar, opened a gate for two hundred Edur warriors and sixty Letherii archers led by Kholb Harat and Saur Bathrada. They were also accompanied by Ahlrada Ahn as well as the champion Icarium and his companion, Taralack Veed. Monok Ochem veered into his Soletaken form to kill the warlock before Icarium became enraged by the sight of dead children and turned on friend and foe alike. Trull fought the Jhag to a standstill until Icarium shattered his spear. As Icarium pushed in for the kill, Apt swirled from the shadows and attacked, but was killed. Minala was struck by a spear in the chest beneath the right clavicle and staggered back to the throne room. Trull later observed Panek kneeling beside the prone and still form of his remaining "mother" as Minala's blood slowly pooled beneath her. Cotillion and Shadowthrone arrived after the fight was over and Shadowthrone began the work of tending to the survivors.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 9, UK MMPB p.363
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB p.18
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 12, US TPB p.335-337
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 9, US HC p.232-233
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 9, US HC p.232-233
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 13, US HC p.369
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 15, US HC p.395
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.540
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 23, US HC p.572-573/583-584
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 6, US SFBC p.261
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 20, US SFBC p.657-658
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.748-749
- ↑ House of Chains, Epilogue, US SFBC p.851
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 17, US HC p.555-557
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.963
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.692
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.693
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.962
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 17, US HC p.555-557/560/563
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.700
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 21, US SFBC p.813
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 21, US SFBC p.962-972/976-977
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 8, US TPB p.189
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 18, US HC p.501-505