"Laseen" was Napan for "Thronemaster".
In House of Chains
Admiral Nok recounted the early days of Kellanved and Dancer's residence in Malaz City. At the time, the Napan Isles had recently been annexed by the Kingdom of Unta, which hoped to use them as a staging ground for their invasion of Kartool. Many Napan refugees had fled to Malaz City, including Surly, who was of the Napan royal line. Others like Nok served as privateers harrowing the Untan fleets.
In Deadhouse Landing
In Fall of Light
The ancient ancestors of the Napan people were almost certainly the blue-skinned Ilnap islanders. A small number of these islanders appeared as refugees from a usurpation of their island kingdom, which was located in the Western Ocean, off the coast of the Jaghut Odhan in the Jaghut Realm. Their arrival by ship occurred during the time that Hood was collecting an army for his war on Death - an army which they joined.
Known members of these Ilnap islander refugees were:
- Brella - a sea-witch
There seems to be contradictory information about the situation of the Napan Isles during the Malazan rise. According to Deadhouse Landing, the country was independent - the Napan refugees in Malaz Isle were suspected to have been on the loosing side of the recent civil war. In House of Chains however, Admiral Nok tells that the Napan Isles had just been annexed by Unta and the refuges had run from this war.
In a 2020 interview, author Steven Erikson was asked to be more specific regarding the blue colour of the Napanese skin. "If you want a real world comparison, there are paintings on the walls of temples in India that have blue-skinned individuals," Erikson replied. "You will also find similar blue in some Egyptian panels. So that's basically it. That's sort of the colour we had in mind."
Notes and references
- Gardens of the Moon, Prologue
- Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 1
- The Bonehunters, Chapter 8, US SFBC p.380
- Deadhouse Landing, Prologue, US HC p.1
- House of Chains, Chapter 8, US SFBC p.319-320
- Kellanved's Reach, Chapter 11, US TPB p.168
- House of Chains, Chapter 5, US TPB p.196
- Deadhouse Landing, Dramatis Personae
- Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 24, US HC p.587
- House of Chains, Chapter 18
- Kellanved's Reach, Chapter 16, US TPB p.240
- Gardens of the Moon, Prologue, UK MMPB p.6
- House of Chains, Chapter 5, US SFBC p.247-248
- Deadhouse Landing, Prologue, US TPB p.2
- Fall of Light, Chapter 12, US HC p.353
- Fall of Light, Chapter 6, US HC p.150-152/155/157
- Fall of Light, Chapter 13, US HC p.400-401
- Fall of Light, Chapter 6, US HC p.144-145/161
- Fall of Light, Chapter 6, US HC p.151
- Deadhouse Landing, Chapter 1, UK HB p.15
- House of Chains, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.296
- Gardens of the Moon - Chatting with Steven Erikson, part 1 - See 58:45