The Old Palace, or keep, was the residence of the ruler of Coral. It was built along the cliffs overlooking Coral Bay and the harbour, and occupied the highest tier of city. The palace's outer wall was stronger than those surrounding the city, and its main structure was carved into the mountainside, a combination of raw rock and worked stone. The heart of the vast palace fortress was carved downwards into the rock. Despite years of attacks by Elingarth warships and pirates, it had never fallen.
The Pannion Seer occupied the Old Palace after he was forced to flee the attack of Lady Envy and her entourage on his fortress at Outlook. During the Malazan Siege of Coral, the Bridgeburners were flown into the city under darkness by quorl to secure the keep. The Sappers, Hedge and Spindle, collapsed one of the corner towers with Moranth munitions to gain entrance. The keep largely collapsed when Anomander Rake crashed Moon's Spawn down upon it.
What was left of of the Old Palace was mostly just a heap of rubble after the siege. A New Palace was later erected, just to the west of it.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.863-864/879
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.881
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 20, US SFBC p.696-697
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.556-559
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.883/886-887
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.943-943