A Shadow wraith, or Shadow-wraith, was a torn soul from Kurald Emurlahn. They were dark, insubstantial figures that appeared like flowing shadow. They had red eyes and long-clawed hands. Shadow wraiths were likely impervious to normal weapons, but vulnerable to Otataral infused blades. They were capable of screaming.
Only the strongest wielders of Kurald Emurlahn could conjure such a creature when drawing from the life-force of their own shadows.
Notable shadow wraithsEdit
Shadow wraiths served High Mage Bidithal within Sha'ik Reborn's camp at Raraku. On the eve of the Battle of Raraku, Bidithal and Kalam Mekhar clashed, with Bidithal sending his wraiths against the Bridgeburner assassin. Kalam's otataral blade proved deadly to the wraiths, but only Cotillion's sudden assistance prevented Kalam from being overwhelmed. Kalam walked away from the battle with his clothes torn to pieces.
The Tiste Edur of northwestern Lether had tens of thousands of shadow wraith slaves who were the spirits of the Tiste Andii who had fallen to the Father Shadow's treachery thousands of years before. Gothos' ritual to preserve the battlefield had torn loose their spirits and prevented them from passing on to the gates of death. During their war with the Kingdom of Lether, the Edur used the wraiths to scout and harass the enemy and as fodder during major battles. Fifty to sixty thousand wraiths were believed to have perished at the Battle of Brans Keep alone.
Edur Warlock King Hannan Mosag possessed a hulking shadow wraith bodyguard. It carried two long and indistinct blades and wore what appeared to be shadowy plate armour, gauntlets, and a helm. The wraith was silent, never sleeping, and ever vigil.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.783
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.782
- ↑ Midnight Tides Chapter 25, US SFBC p.728
- ↑ Midnight Tides Chapter 3, US SFBC p.95
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 House of Chains, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.785
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Midnight Tides, Chapter 1, US SFBC p.46
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.782-787
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 1, US SFBC p.157-158
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Prologue, US SFBC p.19-25
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.678