Smiles was a young, female Marine in Fiddler's 4th Squad, 9th Company, 8th Legion of the Malaz 14th Army. The name 'Smiles' itself was a pseudonym given to her by Master Sergeant Braven Tooth due to her disinclination to smile. Fiddler thought the remorseless chill of her eyes reminded him of Sorry, and he wondered whether there was murder in her past. She had petite features.
She preferred attacking from stealth and was rather skilled with the two thin-bladed knives she kept on her belt.
Smiles frequently came into conflict with her fellow squad member, Koryk.
Smiles journeyed to Aren as part of Adjunct Tavore Paran's army to retake Seven Cities after the Whirlwind rebellion. Fiddler designated Smiles and Bottle as the squad's scouts during the evening hours.
Later on during the Letheras invasion Smiles showed admiration and sexual interest towards Koryk due to his battle abilities.
Smiles was born on an estate near a small village by the seashore in Itko Kan. When the sea stopped providing a catch for the local fisherfolk, the hungry villagers resorted to old blood rituals. Smiles' twin sister was chosen by the elders to be sacrificed to the Elder God, Mael, because of the power inherent in a Mirror Birth. Her sister was drugged insensate with Durhang and left at the water's edge, bound and weighted down for the incoming tide and hungry crabs. Cursing the priests and villagers, Smiles fled to the great city to the north.
- Smiles: "...We’re going to kill her, you know."
- Bottle: "Really. Well, I won’t shed any tears. Who is this “we” anyway?"
- Smiles: "Me and Cuttle. He’ll distract her, I’ll stick a knife in her back. Tonight."
- Bottle: "Fist Keneb will have you strung up, you know."
- Smiles: "We’ll make it look like an accident."
- ―Smiles and Bottle talking about their new captain, Faradan Sort[src]
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 House of Chains, Chapter 5, US SFBC p.251-252
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 11, US SFBC p.413
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 House of Chains, Chapter 11, US SFBC p.415
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 5, US SFBC p.252-253
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 7, UK MMPB p.447
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 4, UK HB p.105
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 4, UK HB p.106
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 7, US PB p.428
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 19, US SFBC p.764