Soulshifting (or soul-shifting) was regarded to be an ancient and lost magical art. The practice shifted the soul of a being into that of another person or an inanimate object. Legend said that it used the Elder Magic of Kurald Galain.
Quick Ben performed an act of soulshifting upon Hairlock which the latter and Tattersail at the time thought to be the first such undertaking in a thousand years. Hairlock's soul was shifted from his mortally wounded body into that of a marionette. During the ritual, webs of black energy spun over the wrapped puppet which was laid upon Hairlock's body, then encompassed his wounded body as well. The threads traced a chaotic pattern until Hairlock drew his last breath.
The Jaghut Varandas used soul-shifting when creating his dolls. One series of doll was called Nacht and would seek out a rare, winged rock ape native to the old crags of a desert far to the south. The other series was a flawed creation he had made too many of called the Bolead.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.80/88
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.89
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.79-81
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 10
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 8, UK MMPB p.355-362
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 16, UK MMPB p.708