A Throne was a common physical manifestation of a certain type of power, magical in nature, in the Malazan world. When an entity 'sat' on a Throne (or otherwise successfully claimed it), they were usually able to wield the power associated with that particular Throne and/or were able to control its Realm and the inhabitants of that Realm. A particular Realm and its associated Warren or Hold had its own unique Throne - or some other manifestation of its "centre of power": e.g., its node; its locus; its heart; or its whatever. An entity (or entities) who was able to control the appropriate centre of power of a Realm might subsequently become an Ascendant and/or be worshiped as a god.
Notable Thrones Edit
- The First Throne, associated with the Imass Elder Warren of Fire, Tellann - the one who held it had control over the T'lan Imass - most recently held by Kellanved
- The Throne of Ice/Ice Throne, associated with the Jaghut Elder Warren of Ice, Omtose Phellack - most recently held by Hood
- Throne of Light, presumably associated with the Tiste Liosan Elder Warren of Light, Kurald Thyrllan - perhaps held by Osserc
- Throne of Night, associated with the Tiste Andii Elder Warren of Darkness, Kurald Galain
- Throne of Shadow, associated with the Elder Warren of Shadow, Kurald Emurlahn - most recently held by Shadowthrone and Cotillion
- Kellanved: "You have heard...of the Throne of Night?"
- Dancer: "Yes. In songs and legends."
- Kellanved: "Well, exactly..."
- Dancer: "Exactly what?"
- Kellanved: "Well - Light and Night had thrones, yes?"
- Dancer: "So they say."
- Kellanved: "Well...so too must Shadow, then!"
- Dancer: "I understand that's all more poetry than history."
- Kellanved: "Well...yes. However, each [Realm] must possess some centre of power. Some locus. Call it what you will. Control that, and one controls the entire Realm!"
- ―remarks exchanged between Kellanved and Dancer in regard to the importance of "Thrones"[src]