The Unaligned were a group of Ascendants within the Deck of Dragons. It was theorised that they represented those Ascendants who were not worshipped and who were therefore not gods. Such Ascendants were considered "unchained" because they were not bound by their followers.
Silverfox made a number of guesses at what the Unaligned might represent. She speculated that they were failed aspects or the imposition of chance or random forces. She said even the ordered structure of the Azath and Deck needed freedom or else solidify and become fragile.
Known Unaligned cards
- The Apocalyptic - a new card
- Chain - a new card
- Master of the Deck - a new card
- Obelisk – Burn
- Oponn – The Jesters of Chance
- Salvation - a new card
Characters associated with Unaligned cards of the Deck
- The Apocalyptic – Originally Dryjhna, then Sha'ik and Felisin's army
- Crown - unknown
- Master of the Deck – Ganoes Paran
- Obelisk – Burn, Bottle
- Oponn – The Lord and Lady of Chance
- Orb – Gesler
- Salvation – initially under the influence of High House Chains but declared to be a true Unaligned by the Master of the Deck, Felisin the Younger's faction
- Sceptre – Grub
- Throne – Stormy
When Fiddler received a new Deck of Dragons after the Last Siege of Y'Ghatan, he mentioned 'Chain'. This likely referred to High House Chains but it can not be said for certain. Given that Fiddler was talking about Unaligned cards at that point, there is a possibility that Chain may have been a previously not mentioned Unaligned.
Notes and references
|Deck of Dragons and Tiles of the Holds|
|Cards||High House Chains • High House Dark • High House Death • High House Life • High House Light • High House Shadow • High House War • Unaligned|
|Tiles||Azath Hold • Beast Hold • Dragon Hold • Empty Hold • Ice Hold • Fulcra|