The Witness Trilogy is a three volume epic fantasy series by Steven Erikson that serves as a sequel to the Malazan Book of the Fallen. It features Karsa Orlong and was for a time unofficially referred to as the Karsa Orlong Trilogy or the Toblakai Trilogy.
Erikson initially planned to write the series after he completed the Kharkanas Trilogy prequel series. But in October 2017 Erikson announced that Walk in Shadow, the concluding volume of the Kharkanas series, would be delayed while he instead worked on the first of the Karsa books. This decision was made after he became aware of the unexpectedly low sales of the first two books in the prequel series, Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light.
Known Details[edit | edit source]
- In an April 2018 interview, Erikson said the official name for the trilogy was likely to be "The Witness Trilogy", and it would be written very much in the style of the first four books in the main Malazan Book of the Fallen series. The series will initially be set in Darujhistan and feature "a lot of characters we've met before". For preparation, he had to reread and take notes on the first part of House of Chains as well as Toll the Hounds.
- In 2016, Erikson thought the series would probably take place 10 to 12 years after The Crippled God. But in the October 2017 announcement Erikson stated the books would take place 4 to 5 years after The Crippled God.
- Erikson has a list of "survivors" from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series that he plans to consult to decide which will take part in the new trilogy.
- In March 2019, Erikson described progress on the series and informed his fans that Karsa might not appear in the first or even second book of the series. He noted that Karsa had made a big impact on his world and the repercussions needed to be examined before returning to Karsa himself.
- Unlike the main Malazan series, the Witness Trilogy "will be one giant novel split into three."
- According to Erikson, Spindle is "probably the only Bridgeburner who is going to be in the Karsa trilogy."
- One of the story elements involves the birth of the Black Feather religion based around Coltaine.
The Books[edit | edit source]
- The God is Not Willing (TBD)
- Book 2
- Book 3
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Erikson discussed his work on the first book in the series in an essay called Life on Thin Ice: Updating my Progress on The Witness Trilogy.
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Steven Erikson Facebook page
- TSACast podcast See 50:00
- Read for Pixels 2016 Interview See 53:45
- Read for Pixels 2016 Interview See 1:32:40
- An Evening with Steven Erikson by Nerdaí Irish Nerds See 09:20
- An Evening with Steven Erikson by Nerdaí Irish Nerds See 52:45
- Ten Very Big Books podcast - Deadhouse Gates (See 52:25)